Monday 1 April 2013

Etsy Extraordinaire #5: Spread Your Sparkle

etsy success sparkle




PIXIE’s Guide to Becoming An Etsy Extraordinaire, Or How To Run a Successful Online Shop
Happy Monday! We’ve made it to part five! Check out the rest of the series here.

#5. Spread Your Sparkle

Now, I know this week sounds a little more unicorn than usual but bear with me! By now you’ve got some pretty amazing products and you’ve starting on branding (right?!) so I think it’s about time you started letting people know about how awesome you are.

If you haven’t already you’d better go sign up to the 50 billion social media platforms currently taking over the planet. You’d don’t have to use them all just get dibs on your name so you have the option if you do want to use them in the future. Social networking can be time consuming and insanely overwhelming but it’s the most useful tool for running an online shop. I recommend picking 2 or three and putting all your effort into those instead of dabbling in everything.

Using facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram, or whatever new thing the kids are using these days, can be an absolute miracle tool! You can use them to connect with your customers and seek out even more customers too. Blogs are unbeatable in giving an insight into the person behind the shop. They add a new dimension and allow customers to be involved in the product and process. They’re also the shizz when it comes to branding (did I just go 2005?).

Give Love to Get Love
Having all these social media outlets isn’t going to be much use if no one’s listening to you. The best way to gain followers is to connect with people. For the first 6 months or so of running my shop I didn’t really use any forms of social networking. Instead, I got fully absorbed into the Etsy community, hearting and favouriting endlessly! Like things that are in line with your brand, follow people whose work you love (and think they might love yours too). With Etsy’s newsfeed people are going to take notice of your activity and soon enough all the love your giving to others is going to project back into your own shop. 

Gabi
X

2 comments:

  1. I'm really loving this series, it's very helpful! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I'm currently trying to expand my Etsy shop and I'm actually in the process of creating new products right now. I'm super excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad I can be of some help :)

      It's so exciting to work on new products, I can't wait to see them!
      x

      Delete