Sunday 14 October 2012

Pink Kittens and a very simple DIY

PINK CATS



I buy the majority of my clothes from Op shops/charity shops so there's usually a fair bit of altering needed so I don't look too much like an 80s housewife. My favourite Op shop have a 'fill a bag for $3 bin' and it's basically what I like to call 'Nirvana.' There's usually one thing I actually like in it then I just stuff the bag with things that might maybe be okay if I change it completely. So, naturally, I have mounds of these weird pieces of clothing that I need to make not quite so weird and ill-fitting.

I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that I got these shorts purely because they're pink. It only took about 5 minutes to re-hem these babies. It's ridiculously basic but can really turn a dress with a nice material into something you'll live in for the next 3 months. 

Ok. Super simple DIY coming your way!



IMG_4312IMG_4319

Please excuse the whole dirty mirror, messy room, weirdface vibe of these photos but that's me in my natural habitat (wearing both a Garth necklace AND t-shirt btw).

As you can see these were some crazy, flared culottes and I just wasn't feeling them. 

IMG_4323


You'll need:
 - the garment you want to alter
 - basic sewing supplies (pins, needles, scissors)
 - a sewing machine would be a huge help but, as always, this can be hand sewed too!

1. Try your pants/skirt/dress/whatever on and mark the length you'd like them to be.


IMG_4327

2. Draw a line about 1 inch lower than the ideal length to allow room for hemming and get cutting!

IMG_4329

3. Fold the fabric in a centimeter or so and pin along the edge. For a neater finish, fold the edge over again before you pin it and all the hems will be hidden. 
IMG_4334

4. Simple sew along the edge and they're ready to rock!

PINK CATS
PINK CATS

And this is what I look like with a fringe. I don't really know how to be a person with a fringe yet hence why I'm stroking it and pondering with my eyes closed.

Yep, anyway. More important things. This jacket has cats on it. It was also $10. We're going to be very happy together.

I think I should clarify that, yes, that is Joaquin Phoenix on my tee. We're quite obviously vegan BFFs so it's only natural that I'd wear a top with his face on it.

PINK CATS
PINK CATS
PINK CATS

Shorts: DIY; Top: Dangerfield; Jacket: Cotton On; Purple YSL rip off ring: Diva; Eye ring: Markets in India; Gold Baroque ring: Vintage; Garth Necklace: Pixie; Shoes: Big W and DIY; Sunglasses: Claire's Accessories 

No comments:

Post a Comment